Location: Akron, Ohio
About Akron Children's Hospital
Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm
On-Call Rotation Required
Hybrid, onsite, 1 day/month
The Security Engineer is an integral part of the Cybersecurity program. This position assists with developing and execution of security measures to protect information, network infrastructure and computer systems. This position conducts vulnerability assessments, risk assessments and works with appropriate individuals to eliminate or reduce the impact of any findings. This position works with internal customers, security partners and vendors as appropriate to complete their duties.
1. Assists with the implementation, execution and continuous improvement of the Information Security Program including but not limited to: Vulnerability Management, Risk Management Security Controls and Technical Oversight, Policy Document Maintenance, and user education
2. Maintains information security policies, procedures, and standards.
3. Conducts periodic risk analysis and risk management assessments.
4. Develops and coordinates application security reviews and is responsible for vulnerability and incident management.
5. Assist with the evaluation, selection, and implementation of information security tools.
6. Design computer security strategy and engineer comprehensive cybersecurity architecture.
7. Identify, define and document system security requirements and recommend solutions to management.
8. Configure, troubleshoot and maintain security infrastructure software and hardware.
9. Install software that monitors systems and networks for security breaches and intrusions.
10. Monitor systems for irregular behavior and set up preventive measures.
11. Educate and train staff on information system security best practices.
12. Ability to problem solve/remediate in a highly complex and matrixed environment.
13. Ability to successfully work in a fast-paced environment with a variety of personalities and work styles.
14. Ability to successfully work well under pressure with tight deadlines and with a sense of urgency.
15. Possess excellent written, oral, and active listening skills.
16. Other duties as required.
1. Experience in HIPAA, HITECH, PCI, NIST, and other frameworks is preferred.
2. Experience in securing information system technologies is required.
3. Experience with both Technical Security and Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) is strongly preferred.
4. Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
5. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
6. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
7. In-depth knowledge of security concepts such as cyber-attacks and techniques, threat vectors, risk management, incident management etc.
8. Experience with an organization's privacy and security due diligence efforts when entering into third party relationships or M&A activities a plus.
9. Knowledge of various operating system flavors including but not limited to Windows, Linux, Unix
10. Knowledge of applications, databases, middleware to address security threats against the same.
11. Proficient in preparation of reports, dashboards and documentation
12. Excellent communication skills
13. Ability to handle high pressure situations with key stakeholders
14. Good Analytical skills, Problem solving and Interpersonal skills
15. Ability to adapt and thrive in a dynamic work environment. Exceptional organization skills, ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and demonstrated experience in taking initiative and following up on tasks.
16. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word, Visio, and SharePoint] or similar software is required.
17. Familiar with cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure, etc)
Education and Experience
1. Education: College degree in related field and 3 years' experience or Highschool education and 5 years' experience required.
2. Security Certification Preferred: CEH, CISSP, GCIH, GSEC, or similar level security certification
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: