Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) has been chosen by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to be the Data and Research Center for the Precision Medicine Initiative, "All of Us" Research Program, a landmark study of genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors affecting the health of a million or more people. This initiative requires the development and integration of applications and data sources to support participants, health provider staff, and researchers.
We are looking for an IT Solution Architect with experience developing and hosting applications in Google Cloud & Azure. The IT architect will be responsible for creating an IT architecture service within the organization, embedding it into existing IT processes, and applying architectural principles to ensure the ecosystem is secure, can continue to provide current system capabilities and services, and develop a cohesive technical vision with IT standards across the All of Us program. You are expected to be hands-on, have a technical background that will enable you to advise on application and cloud architecture, drive technical unity among teams, as well as represent IT in meetings with stakeholders and product owners. Your goal is to continuously review, assess, adjust, and monitor technical capabilities, clearing blockers, planning for future program initiatives, and refining project needs into well-defined components for implementation. Success of All of Us requires you to be fully supportive of the program, its goals, and mission of improving human health by building solutions that enable researchers to make new discoveries.
- Apply IT architectural principles describing the IT ecosystem - applications, integration platforms, web, portal, mobile, analytical solutions, data lakes, development tools and DevOps solutions, cloud security, and archiving
- Author and maintain documentation of the IT components in a system, covering how custom-built solution(s) or vendors' product(s) are designed and built to integrate with existing systems and meet specific requirements in a consistent, coherent, and universal way to show and discuss the design and delivery of solution's IT capabilities
- Leverages Best Practices to encourage the use of "open" technology standards, global technology interoperability and existing IT platforms
- Ensure the IT ecosystem interactions are optimized for maintainability, scalability, and interoperability
- Function as the gateway between IT and product management. Be a trusted advisor through outstanding knowledge, ability, and build trust with the customer
- Ensure current state meets customer needs and develop roadmaps that anticipate future requirements, address technical debt, and incorporate new, advanced technologies and capabilities
- Identify areas where organizational spend can be most useful to advance program objectives or improve performance
- Evaluate existing and proposed systems and recommend upgrades and/or modifications
- Design and implement monitoring, capacity planning and modeling of enterprise-wide, multi-platform or multi-disciplinary systems
- Lead complex troubleshooting of urgent, enterprise-wide technical problems, policies, or procedures. Analyze problems related to area of assignment; identify and locate the source of the problem; diagnosis problem and develop logical, reliable solutions; and design and initiate corrective actions
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication
- BS in Computer Science or Software Engineering. MS preferable.
- Minimum of 3-5 years' experience as a hands-on, practicing IT enterprise or technology architect
- TOGAF certifications a plus
- Understanding on how to manage cloud computing resources - IaaS and PaaS
- Ability and know-how to review and recommend security safeguards in compliance with NIST 800-53 standards to protect the computing resources, data and users from threats and operational disruptions
- Possesses strong critical thinking, problem solving, and effective decision-making abilities
- Works independently on multiple issues or requests with conflicting priorities and timelines
- Project planning, execution, and monitoring experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, capable of communicating to a variety of audiences with varying technical knowledge
- Ability to articulate objectives, problem statements and success criteria
- Facilitates meetings and discussions
- Experience on large, complex projects involving large number of internal teams, external partners, and vendors supporting informatics and extremely large volumes of data; preferably in a healthcare setting
- Positive attitude, confidence, and emotional intelligence
- Working knowledge of:
- Middleware - Tomcat, Nginx
- Databases - Big Query, Postgres, Oracle, MySQL
- Conceptual understanding of web stack/ETL components:
- Client Frameworks - Angular, React
- Integration services - NiFi, Apache Spark, Databricks, RabbitMQ
- Middleware - Tomcat, Nginx
- Cloud services - AD, key vaults, GAE
- CI/CD solutions - Git, Jira, CircleCI, Liquibase, Kubernetes, Docker, Puppeteer
- Working experience in cloud technologies and platforms, GCP, Azure
- Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of systems analysis, administration, application design and systems integration
- Software application development tools and programming languages
- Advanced principles and techniques of systems, application, and network security
- Database design, structure development, features, operations, programming, and data access
- Ability to:
- Manage complex technical projects or functional areas
- Conceptualize, design and document complex systems solutions
- Relate effectively with people of varied academic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds using tact, diplomacy, and courtesy
- Use sound judgment in recognizing scope of authority
Our professional administrative functions include critical supporting roles in information technology and informatics, finance, administration, legal and community affairs, human resources, communications and marketing, development, facilities, and many more.
At our growing health system, we support each other and encourage excellence among all who are part of our workforce. High-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt Health for professional growth, appreciation of benefits, and a sense of community and purpose.
Organizational Impact: Independently delivers on objectives with understanding of how they impact the results of own area/team and other related teams. Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes multiple sources of data to analyze and resolve complex problems; may take a new perspective on existing solution. Breadth of Knowledge: Has advanced knowledge within a professional area and basic knowledge across related areas. Team Interaction: Acts as a "go-to" resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small project teams.
Core Capabilities :
Supporting Colleagues: - Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy, and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance e and gain knowledge in new areas. - Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships. - Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences. Delivering Excellent Services: - Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them. - Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions. - Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness. Ensuring High Quality: - Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly. - Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them. - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring. Managing Resources Effectively: - Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure. - Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area. - Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities. Fostering Innovation: - Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches. - Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges. - Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Relevant Work Experience
For a copy of the physical requirements of this position to determine if you can perform the duties with or without an accommodation or to request an accommodation, please contact VUMC Employee Relations at 615-343-4759 or firstname.lastname@example.org.